As I’ve said before we recently moved home and I went from an Edwardian terraced house, with original features to a bungalow built in 1978, with square rooms.
The bungalow had been neglected and has needed a total renovation, the boring bits like floors replaced, french doors fitted, boiler replacement and re-wiring have been done now and the more interesting times are coming.
The bedroom is finally almost at decorating stage, in fact the skirting boards are being fitted while I write this. I’ll soon be glossing the woodwork and then, finally, I can start to ‘dress’ the room.
I have been given complete freedom in the decoration and have slightly ‘gone to town’.
I had been wondering about a bedside cabinet or drawer unit. My husband has a chest of drawers which he wants to continue to use so I decided to find myself something unique for ‘my side’.
A wonderful place Fanny’s Farm recently closed, it was fabulous and is much missed.
In October there was a house clearance sale at the shop. Unfortunately I was unable to go but as photographs of items for sale were put on Facebook I cheekily asked a friend to get me one of these…. (luckily for me she was successful, thanks Wendy & Leigh)
I know it’s meant to be for cakes (tea at Fanny’s Farm was a real treat) but I thought I could ‘upcycle’ and make it work as a bedside table.
So, what do to with it.
My curtains for the bedroom are Sandersons Clementine, so it seemed obvious to take parts of that design.
With the idea now in my head I sanded the wood sufficiently to allow paint to stay on.
Once that had been done, I painted a pale green base on each disc.
Now time for the fun bit! I drew on the designs …
I painted my designs using Acrylic paint , I like to use this paint, it dries very quickly and is easy to use. I just used a small paintbrush.
Acrylic paint is water based so the brush is quickly washed out between different colours.
As you can already see from above I decided to give the whole thing a coat of gold paint. Just a thin coat and in a kind of sunburst style on the ‘plates’, I used a sponge to add the same paint on the rest of the stand. I varnished the whole thing and now it’s ready for use.
Not a lot of room for clutter so I will have to keep the minimum of items on it.
I’ve decorated a lamp and a tissue box for it … details to follow!
All the best, Rosie