Whilst progressing with our new home renovation and the rewiring we have a new light fitting which is smaller than the one we had – and painted around so recently!
My husband said if he cut a circle of hardboard could I decorate it as a ceiling rose to hide the unslightly bits… well this is just my favourite kind of question, of course I would!
I was presented with a disc about the size of small plate and ready painted with white emulsion.
I decided that as everything is floral in my new bedroom that I would carry on the theme, but not copy the exact designs already used.
So using the trusty Sharpie pens I started to draw out my design.
The pens didn’t really go on that well so I added some more colour with acrylic paint. I had a little set which I had seen for just a few pence in Hobbycraft clearance shelves.
I kept to a very strict palette to keep a little continuity but just randomly drew the flowers – no great botanical detail here, just made up blooms.
Once I’d gone all around the disc I started to add paint for more definition. Then the pens came out again and I found that although they wouldn’t draw a line very well they were happy to stipple. So with this technique I went around the leaves and then with a pale green dotted or stippled the entire background.
This is it in situ….
The lampshade I had sadly got rather battered… but I have had a go at renovation…. details on that to follow soon,