I bought this lovely old gramophone from a friend a couple of years ago, I just couldn’t resist. Only problem was it didn’t work, but my husband was up for the challenge of repairing it, he took the mechanism down his shed and voila it works… it involved a very scary, long and sharp spring but he’d seen the effects of an accident with such a spring and so wore protective gauntlets.
Anyway, its done and we’ve had fun listening to the 78’s I’ve got.
The only snag is my new home is a 1970’s bungalow, my previous home was built in 1905 and had period features and the gramophone would have suited it just fine, though probably not have fitted in it!
So, after doing some research and realising that though I love it, these big items of furniture are not exactly sought after and I decided that if I was going to keep it (which I do want to do) then it must fit in with the room more.
Time to try that Chalk Paint which is so popular at the moment. My husband is great one for doing things properly and even though I showed him the instructions which said you don’t need to do any preparation with chalk paint, I still ended up sanding down the old finish on the wooden case. .. he’s probably right.
So here, is what I did..
. I picked a nice day (more luck thank judgement!) and sanded it down outside. Just a light sanding to help the chalk paint stick.
Sorry about the blinding newspaper in these pictures, note the hole in the side – that’s where the winding handle is fixed in.
I took off the door knobs and polished with some metal polish.
Once I was happy, and with the clouds re-appearing I took it inside to paint.
I chose a pale yellow/cream colour and painted the whole thing (not the inside)
Once dry I mixed a little acrylic mustardy yellow to some of the paint.
Took a washing up sponge and cut a half-moon, orange segment or banana shape and once I was happy with the shape and colour of the paint; I started to sponge the design on.
Well it’s different! I like it, I have some yellow in my room and it is much less dominant than it was originally.
Here it is with the paint taken off the hinges and the knobs all polished….
Thanks for reading,
back soon, love Rosie