If you follow my Instagram posts about the dolls house family and my craft blog you’ll have seen my latest miniature make.
Although they live in 1908ish the family celebrate most of the things we do now (I do a little research, but my get out is that they are not actually real!)
Anyway I decided to make some hot cross buns and so spent a fun afternoon with DAS air drying modelling clay.
I made the shapes by rolling balls of clay and slightly squashing them, adding the ‘cross’ with a craft knife and then allowing them to dry over night.
Once dry I painted them a pale doughy colour, then brushed darker brown paint (quite dry) over them to give that just baked colour.
Because the cross was cut into the clay I found using quite a dry paint meant that the colour did not travel into the cuts.
When that was dry I added some ‘currants’ with a darker brown still – just a little dab with a fine brush.
Once the ‘currants’ were dry I gave these tiny buns a coat of clear varnish so they look good and sticky like the real ones.
The Littleton family enjoyed them, and here they are in colour.
Thanks for reading, back soon,